Sign FA to Min Deal
Signs a FA using the rookie min or vet min exception(whichever is appropriate).
The trade popup will show all of the players, picks, and rights owned by the team in the season you're trading in. On the other side, you can choose which team you wish to trade with, and all of the players, picks, and rights owned by that team in the season you're trading in will appear. Simply check the boxes next to the players, picks, or rights you wish to trade and receive. Additionally, your own team's TPEs(if any) will also be listed, and if you check one off, its value will be decreased by the amount of the biggest incoming salary that fits into it. The Capulator does not currently support the creation of new TPEs for your team as a result of trade. Once done, click 'Make Trade', and the trade will be executed.
Please note that this is NOT a trade checker, it does NOT check
the trade for legality. It merely executes the trade so you can
see how it effects your cap. The only thing it checks for is the
Stepien rule, which means it makes sure(by greying the
appropriate check boxes out) that you can't make a trade after
which you end up with no draft picks for two straight seasons.
Other than this, there it does NOT check anything else. Use the
ESPN Trade Machine or the RealGM Trade Checker to check your
trade for legality!
Sign FA w/Cap Space(in seasons where you have cap space)
You can sign any player to a FA contract for up to four years in
length with up to 4.5% raises. You can type the player's name in
(there is an autocomplete function), select how many years the
contract should be for, and you can use the sliders to adjust the
raises for each season(salaries for all subsequent seasons, as well
as total contract salary, will automatically be updated accordingly).
Additionally, you can choose, via checkbox, to make the last year of
the contract a team or player option. Finally, you can make one or
more years of the contract partially or fully non-guaranteed(when you
click the 'non-guaranteed' checkbox, another popup will appear
wherein you can use sliders to determine how much of each year is to
This is just one of many places in the capulator where this signing box is used, and the above is true no matter where it is used, so it will not be repeated elsewhere in this guide.
Black - Guaranteed Salary
- All the player's salaries are moved, as is, to 'Players Not On Roster', and the player's cap hold is removed.
- The player's salary is stretched, using the (total salary remaining on contract / ((years left on contract * 2) + 1)) formula, and moved to 'Players Not On Roster', and the player's cap hold is removed.
- Allows the user, via a popup, to buy the player out for a total amount specified by the user, and the salary is distributed in the appropriate seasons under 'Players Not On Roster'. Specified buyout amount can also be stretched via use of the 'Stretch' checkbox in the popup.
Re-negotiate Contract(Conditional, for the third, fourth, or fifth years of contracts for which the total duration is four years or more, in seasons in which the team has cap space
) - Allows the user, via a popup, to renegotiate the player's salary upward, starting in the selected season, by an amount less than or equal to the team's cap space provided it doesn't exceed the player's maximum contract value
Grey - Non-Guaranteed Salary(can be fully or partially non-guaranteed)
- All of the player's salaries are removed from 'Committed Salaries'. If any of the salary for any given season is guaranteed, the guaranteed portion will be added for that season in 'Players Not On Roster'. The player's cap hold, if present, will be removed.
- Same as above, except the guaranteed portion of the remaining contract, if such a portion exists, will be stretched.
Blue - Team Option / Green - Player Option
- Option year of contract is removed, existing cap hold for player is removed, new cap hold in what was previously the option year is created.
- Color changes to black, salary becomes guaranteed
Purple - Early Termination Option
- See 'Decline Option' above
Don't Exercise Option
- See 'Accept Option' above
Players Not On Roster
Edit For Offset
- This is used to modify the salary being paid to a player not on a roster. The only application for this is if a player has signed elsewhere after being claimed off waivers, in which case you can reduce the salary owed to the player by a commensurate amount.
Free Agent Cap Holds
Re-Sign FA w/Bird Rights
- Re-sign player with non-bird, early bird, or full bird rights depending on how many bird years the player has(The Capulator determines this automatically). If you re-sign a player with full bird rights for five years, you also get the option to make the last year an Early Termination Option(in addition to the Player Option and Team Option options) since it would be a five year contract.
Re-Sign FA w/Vet. Min Exception
- Re-sign the player with the veteran's minimum exception.
- Renounce the cap hold such that the financial obligation of the hold is extinguished and the team no longer holds bird rights to that FA.
Extend Contract(If Player Is Eligible)
- Sign the FA to a contract extension. The Capulator automatically determines if it is to be a rookie extension or a veteran extension and limits the max salaries and raises as well as contract lengths accordingly.
- Rookie Extension - 0-6 year contract max, up to 4 years, 7.5% raises.
- Derrick Rose Rule - If the player is eligible for a rookie extension, this checkbox will appear. If checked, the max salary is changed to the 7-9 year max.
- Designated Player - If the player is eligible for a rookie extension, this checkbox will appear. If checked, the max number of years will change from 4 to 5.
- Veteran Extension - Up to 107.5% of previous salary or maximum contract, whichever is smaller, for up to three years(as an veteran extension can only be four total years including the remaining years on the current contract), 7.5% raises.
Re-sign FA w/BAE(if available)
- Re-sign FA with the Bi-Annual Exception.
Re-sign FA w/RMLE(if available)
- Re-sign FA with the Room Mid-Level Exception.
Re-sign FA w/MMLE(if available)
- Re-sign FA with the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Re-sign FA w/MLE(if available)
- Re-sign FA with the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Re-sign FA w/Cap Space(If cap space is available)
- Allows you to re-sign your FA with your cap space, at a starting amount equal to your cap space or the max, whichever is smaller, for up to four years with 4.5% raises.
Accept Qualifying Offer(If FA is Restricted)
- Instantly signs the RFA to his one-year qualifying offer contract.
Rescind Qualifying Offer(If FA is Restricted)
- Rescinds the QO so that the RFA is no longer restricted. If the FA's QO amount was bigger than his non-QO cap hold amount, his cap hold is changed to reflect the non-QO cap hold amount. If his cap hold was renounced prior to decline the QO(rarely ever happens), the hold will disappear altogether when the QO is rescinded.
Sign To Rookie Scale
- Sign the draft pick to anywhere between 80% and 120% of the rookie scale(using sliders) corresponding to his draft slot.
- Remove any financial obligation to the draft pick
For Future Draft Picks Only
For a team's own unprotected pick
- Options for #1-#30, wherein each option sets the rookie scale value for that draft slot. Essentially, you pick where you're drafting and the rookie scale amount changes accordingly.
For a team's own protected pick
- Options for #1 to the last unprotected slot(for example, if the pick is top 10 protected, it would be #1-#10).
- Convey - Removes all financial obligations to the pick for that season, as though the pick has been conveyed, and any protections on the pick in subsequent years are removed.
For another team's protected pick
- Options from the first unprotected pick to #30(for example, if the pick is top 10 protected, it would be #11-#30).
- Defer - Removes all financial obligations to the pick for that season, as though you did not receive the pick that year, and, if you have a subsequent right to the pick the following season, the cap hold for the pick in that following season is added.
For Unsigned Draftees Only
Sign Draftee w/BAE(if available)
- Sign Draftee with the Bi-Annual Exception.
Sign Draftee w/RMLE(if available)
- Sign Draftee with the Room Mid-Level Exception.
Sign Draftee w/MMLE(if available)
- Sign Draftee with the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Sign Draftee w/MLE(if available)
- Sign Draftee with the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Sign Draftee w/Cap Space(if cap space is available, and draftee is at least three years removed from being drafted)
- Allows you to sign the draftee with your cap space, at a starting amount equal to your cap space or the max, whichever is smaller, for up to four years with 4.5% raises.
- Moves the cap hold for the draftee to the subsequent season, as though the team and draftee has decided that the draftee won't be signing that season.
Here, all available cap exceptions and traded player exceptions will be shown.
Note that if you're eligible for the RMLE, it won't show up until your cap space, via other signings, falls below the amount of the RMLE.
Also note that if you fall under the cap, all exceptions will disappear.
For the BAE, MMLE, and MLE
- Sign a free agent using this exception
- Removes the cap hold for the exception, which can be necessary if said cap hold is what's putting you over the cap and you wish to get rid of that financial obligation.
For the RMLE
- see above
(There's no 'Renounce' option because there's no reason to ever renounce the RMLE)
- see above
(You can't sign a player outright with a TPE, so no 'Use' option)